Wealden District Council

Wealden Home  >  Residents  >  Housing, Health and Advice  >  Housing  >  Housing Options Advice and Homelessness  >  Housing Options  >  Housing Options

Housing Options

The Housing Options available to you will depend upon your personal circumstances and may include the following:

Affordable Home Ownership

The Council works with Registered Providers (housing associations) to provide access to low cost home ownership for those that do not have the finances to purchase a home of their own outright.  Further detail on latest government-backed schemes for help on to the property ladder can be found at the Help to Buy website (external link).

There are also leasehold options available in Wealden for those aged 60+ including retirement living bungalows and flats offered by the council, as well as housing associations properties and private market schemes. 

Private Rented Sector

The private rented sector is growing in Wealden. Because of the shortage of social housing in the district, private rented accommodation  is the option the majority of applicants looking for housing will be directed to.

Transfers and Mutual Exchanges

If you are an existing council or housing association tenant and need to move you can apply to transfer home and at the same time look for a mutual exchange. If you are an existing council tenant and move to a smaller home or into retirement living you may qualify for assistance under the Council's Tenant Incentive Scheme.

Applying for Social Housing To Rent

All available Council and registered providers (housing association) homes for rent are advertised through Sussex Homemove (external link)  to enable those in housing need to have a greater control over where they live. This includes properties which are only available for people aged 60 or over or those who have a physical disability. To be considered for social housing, applicants need to apply to join the housing register

Find out about the new homes currently under construction including Council New Build homes.

Contact the Housing Options Team