Guidance Notes For Job Applicants
These notes have been designed to assist by providing information about the Wealden appointment procedures and about the application form. Please read these notes carefully before completing your application form. The Council is working towards equality of opportunity for all and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
About the Application Form
The application form is used both for short listing and for reference during the interview process. The information which you supply on the Equal Opportunities form in the application form is kept strictly confidential; it is separated from the application form prior to the commencement of short listing and is not seen or used by the short listing panel. The information is used for monitoring purposes only and forms no part of the selection process.
Completing the Application Form
- Read the Job Description and Advertisement and any other relevant details thoroughly before completing the form. Use the information supplied to make your application relevant to the post. It is important that you use the form to explain how your particular skills/abilities, experience and qualifications compare with those which have been defined in the Job Description. These documents are used as the basis for short listing.
- Shortlisted candidates are required to provide original certificates of all qualifications and memberships listed on the application form. You are advised to list qualifications if they are relevant to the job and you can produce original copies of them. We will be unable to interview you if this requirement is not met.
- Duplicates for lost certificates can be obtained from Edexcel on 0870 2409800 or Edexcel Website (External Link) Replacement copies of damaged certificates and/or statement of results can be obtained from AQA on 0870 4101036 or Aqa Website (External Link)
- Complete all sections of the form in black ink or type. A Curriculum Vitae (CV) is not regarded as a substitute but may be attached as an addition to the completed form. If you have insufficient space to complete all your details on a paper application form please continue on a separate sheet(s). Make sure you enter the post details you are applying for.
- Most jobs are available for job share. If you would like to be considered on a job share basis, please make this clear on the application form and indicate what hours you would be able to work. If you have a 'job share partner' who will also be applying, please give details so that we can link the two applications. If you are applying online please include this information in the Personal Statement section.
- Sign the declaration to certify that all the information given is correct. Please note that if you provide false information or deliberately omit any relevant details you will be disqualified from the selection process and a failure to disclose a criminal conviction could amount to a criminal offence. If you submit your form electronically you will be requested to sign it if called for interview.
The Appointments Procedure
- Only applications received before or on the closing date will be considered. Applications will be accepted up to 5pm unless stated otherwise.
- After the closing date, all application forms are collected together for short listing purposes.
- Short listing is carried out by members of the interview panel and is based on an assessment of the information you have provided on your application form against criteria defined in the job description.
- If you are short listed, you will be contacted and invited to attend for interview. If there are any special requirements associated with the interview process e.g. access, or additional time required for tests, please let us know.
- You will be required to bring to interview certificates proving that you meet the educational and professional requirements for the post as detailed in the job description.
- We ask you to provide names of persons who will act as referees, who can verify your past 3 years employment or academic history, in support of your application. Referees will be contacted in writing to provide their references after interview, unless we contact you for permission to approach them prior to interview.
- If you attended an interview you will be informed verbally or in writing (e mail if possible) of the outcome generally within 5 working days of the selection process being finalised. The successful candidate will normally be contacted by telephone, followed by a written offer of employment. Unsuccessful applicants will generally be written to.
- All offers of appointment are conditional upon receipt of satisfactory references, proof of eligibility to work in the UK, medical clearance and where appropriate police clearance. Some appointments may be subject to other requirements.
- Please note that the screening process may include publicly accessible social media profiles.
In line with our Equal Opportunities policy we ask all candidates to complete an application form to ensure that the information is presented in a standard format. However applicants with disabilities may submit their application in Braille, on cassette or, for those with a visual impairment, via the Council's 'text only' application form (doc).
A CV will be accepted if this is the most convenient form of application for the disabled applicant.
Returning your Application Form
If you are using a paper application form, please return your application form by email or post using the contact details below. Please ensure the correct postage is used otherwise your application may be delayed and you may miss the closing date.
If you require any further assistance please contact us.
Print these notes:
If you wish to print off these guidance notes, please select the link below to open them in Pdf format.